Thinking about getting married in Hawaii? Feeling uncertain about how to obtain licensing information or where to find the Hawaii Marriage license application links YOU need before Getting Married in Maui! Different states and countries have different processes and legal requirements. Comparatively, getting married in Hawaii is EASY!
To ensure your Hawaii wedding ceremony is legal and make it easy for you to begin planning your wedding, I’ve outlined the most common questions I’m asked about getting married on Maui along with the steps you’ll need to obtain and apply for a Hawaii wedding license and Hawaii marriage certificate. Since the beginning of the year, the state law was enacted to allow same sex civil unions and I’ve outlined details of the Hawaii civil union application, too:
Does Hawaii require me to live or be in state for any amount of time before I get married? Hawaii does not require state residency or citizenship requirements and there is no waiting period required after your license has been issued.
Will I need to get blood tests performed before getting married in Hawaii? Hawaii does NOT require blood testing.
Does Hawaii have an age requirement to get married in the state? – The legal age to be married in the stae of Hawaii is 18 without written consent from both parents or legal guardians. Proof of age documentation is required for those 19 and older. If you 18 or younger, please review the HI marriage licensing web site for age and documentation requirements.
What is the process to obtain a Hawaii marriage license? The state of Hawaii makes it easy to get a marriage license. You may complete the application online or download it before you arrive (verify this to be true. Provide link to state wedding site . A valid ID (drivers license, passport, birth certificate, etc).
What is the difference between a Hawaii Marriage License and a Hawaii Marriage Certificate? Hawaii utilizes two different marriage documents serving two different purposes: The marriage license ‘permits’ you to get married in the state of Hawaii. The Hawaii marriage certificate is the document showing a legal marriage or civil union has taken place.
What is a licensed Hawaii wedding officiant? Wedding officiates must be registered and licensed by the state of Hawaii. Officiants may be ordained religious officiate, non-religious or state judges. Officiates must be certified by the state of Hawaii to perform marriages or be certified to perform civil union ceremonies.
3 Step Process for Getting Married in Hawaii:
- The bride and groom must prepare a Hawaii marriage application.
- Along with the completed marriage license application and proof of age documents, the bride and groom must appear together in person before a licensed marriage agent.The application will be reviewed and you will receive your Hawaii marriage license, licensing you to participate in a marriage ceremony performed by a licensed marriage officiate anywhere in the state of Hawaii within 30 days of marriage license approval.
- Participate in a wedding ceremony performed by a licensed Hawaii wedding officiate.Once married, your officiate will provide you with your Hawaii marriage certificate, indicating a legal marriage has been performed in the state of Hawaii.
Links to Hawaii Marriage Information and HI Marriage License Application:
State of Hawaii Marriage Information
Hawaii Marriage License Application (PDF Form)
3 Step Hawaii Civil Union Process:
- Apply for the Hawaii Civil Union license. Complete the Hawaii Civil Union Application Form.
- Both partners must appear together before a licensed CU agent to receive your license; participate in your civil union ceremony performed by a licensed civil union officiate.
- Participate in a civil union ceremony within 30 days of the license approval. After your civil union ceremony, the officiate will record the civil union record with the Hawaii department of health. Once reviewed and accepted the DOH will register the civil union.
Links to Hawaii Civil Union Information and HI Civil Union Application:
State of Hawaii Civil Unions Information
Hawaii Civil Union License Application (PDF Form)
Do you have more questions about the Hawaii wedding license application process or where to find a licensed wedding agent in Maui county? Or, do you need help locating a wedding officiate for a traditional Hawaiian wedding? Questions are welcome in the comments section below. Subsribe to my Maui wedding planning blog for weekly Maui wedding ideas!
Now that you know how easy it is to get married in Hawaii, would you like help planning the Maui wedding of your dreams? Free wedding planning included with Maui catering.