What can be more American than a good old fashioned sandwich? And there may not be more American classic sandwich than the BLT. Still, who says a good thing can’t be improved or altered to create something new? Accordingly, below you’ll find the 6 variations of the classic BLT. Of course, if vacationing and you want to stick to the original BLT on Maui, you can count on finding the Traditional BLT on my Kaanapali restaurant menu available daily between 11 am to 8 pm. Add an order of French Fries and a Homemade Malt to recreat a Classic American Holiday Lunch BLT.
Maui Chef CJ’s 6 BLT Variations:
- Meet the BLTA – Have you had a BLTA (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado)? If so, do you agree that adding a few slices of fresh avocado goes well with just about anything, including a BLT? Though the idea of adding Avocado to the BLT probably came from California where Avocados are often in abundance, just about any sandwich shop or deli in America will happily add Avocado to a BLT if they have it available.
- Make a Pesto BLT Swapping homemade pesto for the Mayonnaise on one of the sandwich bread halves or both changes the BLT flavors considerably and adds a little Italian flavor depending on how you prepare your pesto. Though it probably deviates a bit from the classic American sandwich, a little Pesto on a BLT may make you forget about the traditional BLT completely. Take it from a professional Maui Chef and the next time you have homemade pesto, save a little for on a BLT.
- Use Homemade Aioli instead of Mayonnaise Variations are endless when you prepare your own Aioli for BLT sandwiches. We like to prepare a house made roasted red pepper aioli or add a dash of saracha spice things up a little for BLTs we make for catered events. A little lemon juice and garlic are other variations for Aioli BLT Sandwiches. Not sure how to make Aioli? Use my Roasted Red Pepper Aioli recipe.
- Make a BLT with Panini – Instead of toasted white bread, make a BLT with Panini, sourdough or other bread.
- Use Arugula or Romaine Lettuce on a BLT Swap out the leaf lettuce and use Romain or Arugula on your BLT. The nutty flavors of Arugula may be a welcome variation for BLT lovers or when lettuce isnt available and you just gotta fulfill the urge for Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!!
- BLT with Cheese Not much to say about the goodness of adding a slice of cheddar or Swiss cheese melting on the hot bacon topped with tomato and lettuce for a tantalizing gooey BLT. A thin slice of melted Mozzarella adds a rich smooth taste to a BLT. Things get really interesting when you make a BLT with Arugula and Mozzarella.
Want more than a BLT? The Club Sandwich is the answer for hearty eaters and is another American favorite found on deli menus everywhere! My Club Sandwich includes the usual BLT suspects of Bacon, Tomato and Lettuce along with Turkey and Cheddar Cheese with a third slice of toasted bread. We call it the Classic ClubHouse for only $9.95. The Classic ClubHouse and our other Awesome Sandwiches are served with a choice of Homemade Potato Salad, Chef CJs ColeSlaw, a fresh Green Salad or Chips. Add French Fries to any of our sandwiches for only $3. A complete plate meal in itself, our Hawaiian Style BBQ Kalua Pork Hoagie Sandwich is served with Grilled Pineapple, French Fries and Cole Slaw for only $11.
Transport yourself back in time to the traditional deli experience by combining the classic BLT with hot French Fries and a homemade Malted Milkshake. Our Malts, Milkshakes and Ice Cream Sundaes served in our Kaanapali restaurant are made using locally produced Roselani Ice Cream and decadent ingredients like Ghirardelli chocolate syrup. Our Hana Bar Sundae with Mango Syrup has won several awards and is a local favorite dessert on Maui. Take a look at our lunch and dinner menu for delicious Comfort Food! Our Maui restaurant in Kaanapali has been serving visitors to Maui and locals since 2002.
Planning a wedding and looking for inexpensive Maui catering ideas? How about a BLT Sandwich or Deli Sandwich Wedding Food Station? Customize your own sandwich menu for an affordable Maui wedding reception menu. Include classic sandwiches like the BLT, Club along with local island favorites like Mahi Mahi Sandwich or the BBQ Kalua Pork Hoagie for a low cost Maui catering option. For more affordable Maui catering ideas, request a complimentary catering estimate request below. Our no obligation Maui catering questionnaire makes it easy for you to share a few details about your wedding plans or Maui catered event.
Have your own suggetions for a BLT variation? Please use the omments section below to share your favorite BLT sandwich! Or, subscribe to our blog for Maui catering tips and a few of the Maui Chefs recipes from our family restaurant on Maui, CJ’s Deli & Diner in Kaanapali.